Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Botox

Just a very quick post to let you know that we're off to Fredericton (90 minute drive away) for Botox tomorrow. Ben will get 2 to 4 injections into each hamstring while under oral anesthetic. The appointment is at 1pm. We need to be there by noon to be admitted into paediatrics.

He is allowed to eat breakfast but nothing after that. That may be difficult but hopefully not too bad.

I'm a bit anxious about it, but excited at the same time. He needs this. He really does. I'm also anxious but excited about the serial casting for his calves in September. His walking has deteriorated alot over the last few months. He's always on his toes. Always. And he falls onto his knees quite often when using his walker. I hate that. I miss the great gait he used to have.

That said...he still loves his walker. And uses it more and more. He's even more confident using it outside on uneven ground. I can't wait til his hamstrings and calves are looser so he can do even better with it.

Wish us luck!

5 comments:

  1. Hoping for the best for Ben. Prepare for an adjustment period with Ben's mobility post casting. No one warned me of this and it was a little hard to take at first but like you said, it was needed and will be worth it in the long run. Will both legs be casted? Please post some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Caryanne, I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you guys. I am kind of afraid of Botox, I still get stuck on toxins injected into my BABY! but the way everyone talks about it, the writeups from the experts, I'm sure we'll be in that boat at some point and I hope I can handle it as needed. This is one of those topics I love learning about from my internet friends, no one told me that growth can lead to these kinds of deterioration in gait and function until I asked about it. I'm sure it is good that the experts don't want to scare us, but still, watching the child lose functionality is so horrid. I'm sure we'll all do anything to fight back, right? Hang in there, guys, and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I know he'll do great!

    ReplyDelete