Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Waiting game (cross-post)

Well. He's in surgery. I'm so glad that I didn't know how hard it was going to be to hand over my child. I had expected that we would be with him until after he'd had the gas mask and was somewhat (if not completely) out of it. Nope. We had to hand over a screaming, terrified 4-year-old to someone he'd never met before. And watch him as they walked down the hallway, all the while yelling for Mommy and Daddy. Not something I want to ever have to repeat.

Other than that, things have been going well. I am so grateful for technology. That with a touch of a finger I can upload a photo or status update and within minutes have tons of replies and comments that touch our hearts. We really are feeling your support from all over the world. It was so great to wake up and have comments already from our friends on the other side of the pond who are hours ahead of us! And then we even received a video from Ben's preschool class! All of these things make this process just so much easier!

Mom and Dad arrived around suppertime last night. Ben was very happy to see them and so were we. And Grammie and Grampie even got to watch "How to Train your Dragon" with Ben...he loves to show other people his new favourite movie.


I didn't sleep too terribly last night...the first part of the night was good, but as we got closer to morning, I just couldn't stay asleep and finally got up at 5:15 to start to get ready to go. When I told Ben that today was the BIG DAY...the day he would have his operation. He just looked at me and said "that's not very exciting Mommy." And I guess he's right...it's not very exciting...at least not yet.

Check Ben out...watching Monster Truck videos on Youtube while we wait for our driver this morning.

Check in at the hospital was a breeze. (Ben's pretending to be a fish in the photo below.)


He wasn't too thrilled about having to get changed into his Johnny Shirt, but after a bit of bribery, we managed to convince him. How cute is he here?


And then we were off to the Operating Floor. We waited maybe another half hour and then he was gone.

We waited with Mom & Dad in the Parents waiting room for about 90 minutes and then headed back to the hotel for showers, breakfast and a bit of a break. We will head back to the hospital around 2pm to wait for him to be rolled out to the recovery room where he will stay overnight.

So that's it for now. We wait. And wait. And then wait some more.

2 comments:

  1. HI CARY!! I HATE THE WAITING GAME.. MY MOM WAS JUST SAYING THAT, THAT'S THE WAY THAT THEY DO THINGS.. SHE SAID SHE WAS ALLOWED TO THE DOOR AND THAT'S IT!

    PERSONALLY, I DON'T AGREE WITH IT.. WHETHER YOU ARE A CHAILD OR AN ADULT SURGERY IS A SCARY THING..

    I WOULD DEFINETLY, PUSH TO HAVE THAT CHABGED SO THAT PARENTS CAN GO IN WITH THEIR CHILDREN.. I CAN IMAGINE HOW SCARY THAT MUST HAVE BEEN FOR YOU AND LITTLE BEN!!

    STAY STONG CARY.. THIS DAY WILL COME TO AN END SOON AND THEN THE RECOVERY CAN START..

    AS I SAID BEFORE BEN IS A TROOPER AND HE WILL DO WELL.. YOU HAVE LOTS OF LOVE AND SUPPORT.. JUST MAKE SURE HE GETS LOTS OF HUGS AND KISSES..

    THANKYOU, FOR UPDATING US!!

    STAY STONG.. LET'S PUSH TO HAVE THAT CHANGED SO THAT THE EXPERIENCE CAN BE BETTER FOR YOU AND FOR BEN IF HE NEEDS SURGERY AGAIN!!

    MELISSA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady - I am sending positive thoughts your way!! It is awful that hospitals separate us like that - I was near hysterical myself when Hannah was wheeled off for an MRI and dental work under a general anesthesia - I don't care how everyday it is for hospital folks, families are not cut out for forcible separation! I think it is probably true that he won't remember that part, even though your heart is scalded by it. I am sending hugs your way, Mama.

    ReplyDelete