Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Shriner's - Day 11 (cross-post)

It felt so good to get back to business today. Not only for me, but I think Ben felt the same way. He truly had a great day. He was very happy to go back to the playroom to play with the child life workers and volunteers. Eric (volunteer) was here today and Ben enjoys him because Eric knows ALL ABOUT DINOSAURS. Ben's been asking me about what happened to the dinosaurs so I just directed all his questions to Eric.

11am brought a session of PT...this time with Corinne as Stephanie was out today. Ben sometimes has a hard time with new people, but Corinne was all prepped and ready for him with a game of basketball so he was thrilled. And he worked REALLY hard for her.

After lunch and more playroom time (this time with 2 more awesome volunteers), it was time for PT session #2 in the pool! Poor Ben bugged me all weekend to go in the pool so he was more than ready this afternoon. He and Corinne played more basketball, built a tower with blocks and even played fireman (using a squirt gun to put out fires). Really. The therapists here know how to entertain these kids so that they don't even know they are working!

We were told this morning that we would be getting a roommate today for most of the week. Meaning that I would lose my nice comfy hospital bed and that, of course, we'd have to deal with extra people in our cozy room. Well, luckily, things got shifted around so that we had no one join us today. And tomorrow, we will have a roommate but just for the day. And that's it...for this week at least! Phew.

AND...my mom (AKA Grammie) comes tomorrow. She is on the early flight so should be here just about when we are having our breakfast. Ben is beyond excited. As am I. I get to go have some adult time. Dinner at a friend's place tomorrow night and then I get to sleep at a hotel ALL BY MYSELF for TWO nights. WOW. I'm not even sure what to do with myself. My one and only plan is to make a trip to Lululemon for some new yoga pants and hopefully a new sweater. And I'm sure I'll be spending some time at the Eaton Centre too. Nothing like some good 'ole retail therapy!

Here's a video of Ben in the pool today with Corinne. This is a pretty good example of what they work on in the pool. A lot of walking on the bottom of the pool with flat feet and standing tall.

2 comments:

  1. It really sounds like things are going as well as can be expected, which is so great! It is interesting to read about all that is involved, so thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEN LOOKS LIKE HE IS HAVING A GOOD TIME.. WHILE HAVING TO WORK HARD.. I THINK THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE..

    JUST KEEP LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR EXCITING WEEKENDS COMING UP SOOM! MAYBE YOU CAN DO A CALENDER COUNTDOWN FOR BEN! I AM HOPING THAT YOU WILL HAVE BOOG WEATHER THEN!

    I AM SURE BEN WILL HAVE FUN WITH GRAMMIE!!

    MELISSA

    ReplyDelete